1872 – 1989 Written by Margie Morris, July 14, 1989 Sitting comfortably on a well-worn pew in the Savoy Methodist Church, you can almost hear the sounds made by generations of congregational members. Surely the men’s low voices, the children’s laughter, and the women’s lyrical soprano tones intermingled through the years in countless hymns, liturgies, studies, and prayers.
SAVOY, Texas – A few of the elder citizens remember that Sunday, May 28, is the fifty-ninth anniversary of the Savoy cyclone. Being the first such disaster to visit this section of the country, it attracted attention all over the state.
A rather remarkable occurrence took place last Saturday morning on the place of Mr. Rick, who lives on the Blue River in the Indian Territory. While crossing a field in from of his house, he was startled by a large rock being hurled through the air and falling to the ground a few feet in front of him.
Only one unfortunate was brought before the mayor Monday morning. He acknowledged to the mayor that he had just taken a little too much. The usual fine was entered but a stay of execution was granted on promise to leave town and go to his work on the Denison and Southeastern Railroad. A fight between some women on Crawford street will furnish the mayor’s sort with some work this morning.
Promotional brochure for the 1967 Savoy Male and Female College Reunion, featuring editorials, biographies, and stories.
In 1886, still unable to curb his yearning to travel, Colonel Savoy went to New Mexico and purchase an interest in a silver mine. Two years later he returned, a broken man–never told what had happened there.
In 1861, Colonel William Savoy enlisted to fight in the Civil War, but injured a foot so seriously in training that he could not serve as a soldier. However, he served in the Intelligence Department for the South, and though he would not talk much about it, he apparently served well.
Incidents gleaned from the files of the Savoy Star through a period of thirty-five years. How many do you remember?
The town of Savoy was established in 1872 on land sold to the Texas and Pacific Railway Company by Col. Wm. Savoy, in whose honor the town was named. The land was surveyed by the railway company, played off in lots, a plat of the town made and lots were sold to the public for building purposes.