The Savoy School

For the first five years after Savoy College was burned, we have very little data concerning the school and its work. In 1895, it is revealed by an old catalog, that there were four teachers: L.C. Gee, Principal and teacher of Languages and Science; E.L. Trotter, Mathematics and History; W.W. McMahon, Preparatory Department; Miss Martha Buford, Primary.

These four teachers took care of an enrollment of 207 students and that meant long hours of study each day, as each student carried from one to six subjects and all had to be heard before school was dismissed in the evening. The building was of wood, and the heating system, smoky wood stoves which drew well if the wind was from the right direction, otherwise it was too bad for the school. The wood was carried in by the pupils and many times a runner had to be sent after the boys who had gone to the wood pile for a load of wood with which to replenish the fire. On extremely cold days, enough of the pupils stayed at home to permit the others to huddle around the stove and keep fairly comfortable. But they learned many lessons, not only in books, but how to live and meet the problems of life and many students of those days are now (1937) outstanding men and women in their communities and are not ashamed of their early environments.

In course of time, the wooden structure was replaced by a two story brick building, which, in a few years, was considered unsafe and inadequate for the needs on the district, and the commodious structure which we now have was erected. It has modern gas heating, electric lights, drinking fountains for the comfort and convenience of the student body and an efficient janitor service. There are maps, charts, and scientific equipment in a conveniently located laboratory, a well equipped library, and auditorium. There is nothing left for students to do, but apply themselves to their work.

Year by year, students have been added until the enrollment is now 275, which has necessitated more teachers and more extensive curriculum and white and colored school now have affiliated credits. The district has been enlarged by consolidation with outlying districts, until it requires three busses to transport rural students to school, and already there is a condition that will require more expansion soon. The efficient board of trustees is active and alert and takes a pride in making Savoy school second to none.

PRESENT FACULTY

J.W. Moulton, Superintendent, 9 years, Latin.
Foster McCollum, Principal, 3 years, Science and History.
Miss Alma Witherspoon, 2 years, English.
Miss Pauline Barnett, 3 years, History and Commercial Work.
Tom Garner, 1 year, Sixth and Seventh.
Mrs. Mary Morgan, 12 years, Fourth and Fifth.
Mrs Lalah Baker, 12 years, Second and Third.
Miss Beulah Polson, 14 years, Primary.
R.V. Edwards, 2 years, Vocational Agriculture.
Miss Tommie Chenoweth, 3 years, Music.
Miss Bonnie Lee Rubarts, 3 years, Librarian.
Irene Carr, colored teacher, 3 years.

1

  1. The Savoy Star, vol.35, no.50, pg.12, December 16, 1937
Post Categories: Stories, The College
Tags: ,